As his stomach dropped in fear, the guard felt his cheeks swell with anger. Everything suddenly seemed so simple. The guard opened the gate and led the adventuring party through the checkpoint. It all seemed natural. The fog had lifted and he became aware of the fact that the Tiefling was not only bewitching him with a spell, but he hadn’t actually muttered. He felt his hand begin to hurt from gripping his pike so tightly that it was impossible to do anything. They would be in the city before he had his mind clear again. He was left with his frustration and anxiety, not to mention the fear of explaining what had happened to the watch captain.
What is Charm Person?
Charm Person can be used to enchant many classes. It takes one action to cast, and it lasts for an hour. You can make a Wisdom saving throwing if you are within 30 feet of the target humanoid. If they are fighting you or your allies, they have an advantage on this saving throw. The humanoid becomes charmed by your spell until they are destroyed or you or your allies do something to harm them. The charm will make the target feel like you are a friend, but they will know you have charmed them when the spell ends. You can target additional humanoids if you choose to upcast Charm People. You could target three humanoids simultaneously by using a third level slot.
Is Charm Person a good spell?
This isn’t an easy question to answer. This spell’s effectiveness will depend on how strong you are and what your DM is. It’s not very useful as a combat spell. This is due to two reasons: the spell takes into account your party members to make it easier to pass the spell and to end it, but the charmed condition doesn’t prevent your target from attacking your party members. It protects only the caster. If combat has broken out, the target with advantage on the save makes it unreliable to use in combat.
This spell out of combat can be used to avoid combat or social interaction. These two categories may overlap in some circumstances. You can avoid combat encounter if you are able to cast this spell on a hostile prior initiative rolls. You can make this more complicated if you have multiple hostiles. However, casting at a higher level can help. Although Charm Person sounds great in social situations, the clause that the target will automatically know you charmed them can cause hostility from an NPC who was previously friendly or neutral. Also, the utility of the charmed condition can be very limited. The charmed condition will give you an advantage when you interact with others, but it may not be worth much if your Cha modifier is low or you lack proficiency in Persuasion.
You will get the most out of Charm Person if you have a Cha modifier who is proficient in social skills such as Persuasion, and a DM who is willing to allow you to indulge in some shenanigans together with the charmed individual.
How do you become a Charm Person?
There are many sources that Charm Person can be found, so there are many options for you to choose from. Let’s begin by listing all classes that have Charm Person in their spell lists. Relevant features of the class are noted in ().
- Bard (Cha-based, Jack of all Trades )
- Sorcerer (Cha-based, several metamagic options like Twinned or Heightened Spell).
- Warlock (Cha-based, Beguiling Whispers Invocation)
There are other ways to access Charm Person:
- Arcane Trickster – This class gives you access to the Wizard spell. Rogues can also obtain Expertise to make the most of it.
- Eldritch Knight, Fighter subclass – This grants you access to the Wizard spells list.
- Fey Wanderer – This subclass grants you Charm Person at 3rd Level without it being counted against your limited spells.
- Trickery Domain (Cleric Subclass) – This class gives you Charm person at 1st Level.
- Magic Incitiate (feat This feat allows you to cast Charm Person twice a day and cantrip two spells from any of the spell lists. You can’t cast Charm Person with your spell slots unless at least one level is in the Magic Ignite class.
- Fey Touched – This feat allows you to choose Charm Person as your 1st level Enchantment spell and also grants Misty Step. Both can be cast for free once per day, but you can also use any spell slots that you have.
- Fierna Tiefling – The race option gives you the ability to cast Charm Person every day at 3rd Level. You will be able to cast Suggestion from the same level. This package is very thematic.
We hope that you found this article useful. You can find spells in our spells section if you are trying to decide on spells for your next characters. You adventurers, good luck!